Candidates are encouraged to apply as early as possible. The last day to submit an application for admission to the Graduate School is July 15th. Candidates are encouraged to make early application Fall by June 1st. International students planning to start in the Fall must complete their application by May 1st.
Admission to the various graduate programs in business is competitive and limited to those candidates who can demonstrate high promise of success in a graduate business degree program. In addition to compliance with the policies of the Graduate School, the College of Business considers several indicators of potential for success in graduate business studies including, but not limited to, the following:
- A minimum cumulative grade point average (GPA) of 2.75 (based on a 4.00 system) at the baccalaureate institution, or a minimum cumulative GPA of 2.75 in the last 60 hours of the baccalaureate program, or the completion of 15 or more semester hours of graduate work at an accredited institution with a minimum GPA of 3.20.
- The total score and verbal and quantitative percentiles, and, where available, the analytical writing assessment (AWA) score on the Graduate Management Admission Test (GMAT). The standards are set by the individual graduate programs in business.
- Work experience at the post baccalaureate level, where applicable. Resume requested with application.
- Leadership and communication skills as documented in a goals statement and resume.
- A minimum of two letters of recommendation.
- Submission of the results on the Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL) for all applicants whose native language is not English.
At the discretion of the respective program directors, candidates may be required to come in for an interview or to submit additional materials deemed important in assessing potential for success in graduate business studies.
- Graduate School Application
Application to the Graduate School is made via the online application process. Application over our secure server requires a credit card to pay the $40 application fee. (application)
- Two Letters of Recommendation
Two letters of recommendation are required. (recommendation form)
- Statement of Purpose
- Official Transcript(s)
An official college transcript from the college or university from which the student graduated is required. (transcript request form)
- Official GMAT Score (more info about exam) Students can improve their GMAT Score with the NIU College of Business GMAT Test Prep course.
- Additional test scores when necessary including TOEFL or IELTS.
- Documentation of financial resources