About the College of Business
NIU College of Business students enjoy an engaging campus experience from a college that is nationally recognized in academic and industry circles for its award winning and dedicated scholar-teachers, personalized student advising, state-of-the-art facilities, active involvement with the business community, and outstanding curricula that narrows the gap between thinking and application. Since the college's founding in 1961, more than 50,000 alumni have graduated. A large majority of them have become successful business executives in the Chicago area and around the world. Because of this and our close proximity to Chicago, NIU's College of Business builds extensive partnerships with many firms, alumni, and business leaders. We do this with you, the student, at the forefront of our mind.
The College of Business at Northern Illinois University is proud to have achieved continuous accreditation since 1969. AACSB International accreditation represents the highest standard of achievement for business schools worldwide. Institutions that earn accreditation confirm their commitment to quality and continuous improvement through a rigorous and comprehensive peer review. AACSB accreditation is the hallmark of excellence in management education. learn more...
Students, faculty, recruiters, and business partners alike seek out the excellent programs in the college. read more about our rankings and recognition...
- For more than a decade, U.S.News & World Report has consistently ranked The Northern Illinois University College of Business as among the best business colleges in the country.
- The Department of Accountancy in the NIU College of Business was ranked among the top 10 best programs, undergraduate and graduate, by Public Accounting Report, a leading industry publication in the field of accounting.
- NIU Accountancy students' pass rate on CPA exam among best in the nation according to the National Association of State Boards of Accountancy.
- Crain's consistently places the NIU MBA program among the very best out of a pool of 30 competing MBA programs in the Chicago market.
- The college's Professional Sales Program in the Department of Marketing was named among the "Top University Sales Programs for 2011" by the Sales Education Foundation (SEF).
Academic & Internship Counselors
Full-time trained academic and internship counselors advise NIU's College of Business students on course selection, academic progression, internship and professional opportunities, and career planning. learn more...
Business Careers House
The college provides a business careers community for its undergraduate students in the university's Lincoln Hall Dormitory. With the help of faculty advisors, 250 of the college's students govern and live in five floors of the D wing of Lincoln Hall. The students -- in collaboration with the faculty advisors and the Dean -- also plan programs and events related to careers and career development in business. learn more...
Career Compass Program
Program developed to engage business students in self, major, and career exploration immediately at the onset of their college career. learn more...
Job Fairs & Professional Opportunities
The College of Business is included on a growing number of firms' "short list" of top schools from which to recruit graduates. Collectively, 400 human resource recruiters meet with College of Business graduates every year at the biggest university job fair in the country and at the college's college-wide job fairs.
Online Career Planner
The college's Academic and Career Planner is an online resource that provides a listing of academic and career preparation activities and services that are available to College of Business students. learn more...
The college is home to more than 20 active and well-respected student business organizations, including nationally recognized chapters such as Pi Sigma Epsilon, Society for Human Resources Management, Beta Alpha Psi, American Marketing Association, among many others. learn more...