Best Undergrad Business School
- Best ROI in Illinois and Among Best ROI in Nation - Businessweek (2013). The NIU College of Business undergraduate program generates the best return-on-investment when compared with all the other business schools in the state of Illinois. According to the Bloomberg Businessweek's "Top Undergraduate B-Schools for ROI" list, NIU ranks at No. 45 nationally with a return-on-investment of $4.74 in salary earned per annual tuition dollar spent.
- Top 3 for 4 Consecutive Years Building on a strong trend, NIU's College of Business ranks 3rd nationally for integrating ethics in the curriculum (Businessweek 2013 rankings). Since the start of its specialty rankings in 2010, Businessweek has ranked the college in the top 3 nationally for 4 consecutive years in the area of ethics education: 3rd in 2013, 2nd in 2012, 3rd in 2011, and 2nd in 2010. read article...
- Among Nation's Elite for 7 Consecutive Years - Businessweek. NIU's College of Business continues to be regarded as among the nation's elite undergraduate business programs. In Businessweek's 2013 listing, the college is ranked 106th nationally out of 672 eligible AACSB accredited schools. This continues a strong trend that places the NIU College of Business among the nation's very best since the inception of the Businessweek ranking in 2006.
- Among Nation's Best for 2 Decades - U.S. News.The 2014 U.S. News ranking lists the NIU College of Business undergraduate business program 119th best nationally out of 672 eligible AACSB accredited schools. The college rose 47 spots from last year, outperforming schools such as Florida International University, Ball State University, Pace University, SIU, and ISU, among others. Continuing a strong trend, for nearly two decades U.S. News & World Report has ranked the NIU College of Business among the best business programs in the country. read article...
Best MBA Program
- Among Nation's Elite. NIU's Part-Time MBA program ranks among the nation's best by U.S. News & World Report in its 2014 Best Grad Schools in Business listing. Of the eligible AACSB accredited Part-Time MBA programs, NIU ranks 129th best nationally, beating out Pace University, IIT, Iowa State University, and ISU, among others. read article...
- Among Tops in Chicago. NIU's MBA program achieved high rankings for each year of the Crain's Chicago Business ranking: 2006, 2007, 2008 (the last year of this ranking). Crain's consistently placed the NIU MBA program among the very best out of a pool of 30 competing programs in the Chicago market. In the last year of Crain's ranking, the college's Evening MBA, Professional MBA, and Executive MBA all ranked within the top 6 best programs. read article...
- Among Best MBA for Vets. NIU's MBA program ranks among the nation's best programs for veterans by The Military Times. Its 2013 ranking places the college's program 28th best nationally. read article...
Best Academic Programs
- Accountancy Program ranks 16th best nationally. Both NIU's undergraduate and graduate accountancy programs were ranked 16th best, respectively, in the 2013 Annual Professors Survey conducted by the Public Accounting Report (PAR). PAR's ranking places NIU's accountancy program among the very best nationwide and beats out Miami (Ohio) University, University of Wisconsin, University of Virginia, among others. Continuing a strong trend, NIU's accountancy program has been ranked continuously among the very best programs in the country for more than two decades.
- Professional Sales Program ranked among the best worldwide. For two consecutive years running (2012 and 2011), the college's Professional Sales Program in the Department of Marketing was named among the "Top University Sales Programs" by the Sales Education Foundation (SEF). SEF reviews existing university sales programs worldwide to identify and recognize the top programs.
- NIU College of Business' Nationally Ranked Ethics Education spotlighted by AACSB
The college's innovative approach to integrate ethics education throughout the business curriculum received praise from the AACSB International, the most prestigious accreditation body of business schools. In spring 2011, AACSB selected the NIU College of Business to spotlight for its outstanding efforts in ethics education. more...
- NIU business joins the SAP University Alliances Community
In Spring 2011 after meeting stringent criteria, NIU's College of Business was accepted into the SAP University Alliances Community. SAP is the dominant player in the Enterprise Resource Planning software market. Joining the SAP University Alliance Community permits NIU business faculty to use SAP software and have access to curricular materials that will allow them to introduce NIU business students to ERP systems. The use of SAP is being incorporated into a number of classes over the next three years, particularly classes in: Operations Management & Information Systems, Accountancy, and Human Resource Management. For this project, the college works with an advisory committee that includes business community partners from Vistex, Siemens Industry, Willis Computing, Allstate, Nalco, Alta Via, and Eby-Brown.
- KPMG funds first endowed professorship at the university within the NIU College of Business.
The excellence of the Northern Illinois University College of Business and its Department of Accountancy has been recognized with the creation of the university's first-ever endowed professorship. Endowed professorships are the most prestigious faculty honor and support into perpetuity the outstanding excellence of specific university programs. Endowed professorships assist the institution in recruiting and supporting the best teacher-scholars in the country and, indeed, the world. On September 28, 2009, the college announced the creation of the KPMG Endowed Professorship in Accountancy. For more information about Endowed Professorships and the long-standing relationship between KPMG and the NIU Department of Accountancy, click here.
- CPA Review Performance. The college's accountancy students continue a long tradition over more than three decades of superior performance on the CPA exam as compared to state and national pass rates.
- Northern Illinois University is:
- a full member of the Universities Research Association (URA), an elite group of top public and private research universities that includes Harvard, MIT, Princeton, and Yale.
- among only four percent of all U.S. colleges and universities listed in The Carnegie Foundation'smost productive category: "doctoral/research university-extensive."
- a member of the nation's most prestigious public higher education association: the National Association of State Universities and Land Grant Colleges.
- the home of a new scientific center dedicated to research with Fermi National Accelerator Laboratory, one of the world's premier high-energy physics research laboratories.