Best Undergrad Business School
- Best Value in Illinois and Among Best in Nation - Businessweek (2013). The NIU College of Business undergraduate program generates the best return-on-investment when compared with all the other business schools in the state of Illinois. According to the Bloomberg Businessweek's "Top Undergraduate B-Schools for ROI" list, NIU ranks at No. 45 nationally with a return-on-investment of $4.74 in salary earned per annual tuition dollar spent.
- Top 3 for 4 Consecutive Years Building on a strong trend, NIU's College of Business ranks 3rd nationally for integrating ethics in the curriculum (Businessweek 2013 rankings). Since the start of its specialty rankings in 2010, Businessweek has ranked the college in the top 3 nationally for 4 consecutive years in the area of ethics education: 3rd in 2013, 2nd in 2012, 3rd in 2011, and 2nd in 2010. read article...
- Among Nation's Elite for 8 Consecutive Years - Businessweek (2014). NIU's College of Business continues to be regarded as among the nation's best undergraduate business programs. In Businessweek's 2014 listing, the college is ranked 109th nationally out of 672 eligible AACSB accredited schools. NIU's College of Business has ranked among the nation's elite since the inception of the Businessweek ranking in 2006.
- Among Nation's Best for 2 Decades - U.S. News.The 2014 U.S. News ranking lists the NIU College of Business undergraduate business program 119th best nationally out of 672 eligible AACSB accredited schools. The college rose 47 spots from last year, outperforming schools such as Florida International University, Ball State University, Pace University, SIU, and ISU, among others. Continuing a strong trend, for nearly two decades U.S. News & World Report has ranked the NIU College of Business among the best business programs in the country. read article...
Best MBA Program
- Among Nation's Elite. NIU's Part-Time MBA program continues to rank among the nation's best by U.S. News & World Report. In its 2015 listing of Best Business Schools (released in early 2014), NIU's Part-Time MBA ranks 118th, up 11 spots from last year. This is the second consecutive year that NIU's Part-Time MBA has made the list. read article...
- Among Tops in Chicago. NIU's MBA program achieved high rankings for each year of the Crain's Chicago Business ranking: 2006, 2007, 2008 (the last year of this ranking). Crain's consistently placed the NIU MBA program among the very best out of a pool of 30 competing programs in the Chicago market. In the last year of Crain's ranking, the college's Evening MBA, Professional MBA, and Executive MBA all ranked within the top 6 best programs. read article...
- Among Best MBA for Vets. NIU's MBA program ranks among the nation's best programs for veterans by The Military Times. Its 2013 ranking places the college's program 28th best nationally. read article...
Best Academic Programs
- Accountancy ranks among Nation's Finest - TaxTalent 2014 Educational Survey. Based on feedback from 143 executives of corporate in-house tax departments, NIU's accountancy program was ranked nationally as:
- 11th best undergraduate accountancy program
- 9th best master of science in taxation program
- 9th best master of accounting science program
- Accountancy ranks 16th Best Nationally - Public Accounting Report.
NIU's undergraduate and graduate accountancy programs were ranked 16th best, respectively, in the 2013 Annual Professors Survey conducted by Public Accounting Report (PAR). PAR's ranking places NIU among the very best nationwide and beats out Miami (Ohio) University, University of Wisconsin, University of Virginia, among others. Continuing a strong trend over two decades, NIU's accountancy program has been ranked continuously among the very best programs in the country.
- Professional Sales ranks among the best in the world - Sales Education Foundation. For two consecutive years (2011 and 2012), the Professional Sales Program in NIU's Department of Marketing was named among the "Top University Sales Programs". The Sales Education Foundation determines the top programs after reviewing existing university sales programs worldwide.
- NIU College of Business' Nationally Ranked Ethics Education spotlighted by AACSB
The college's innovative approach to integrate ethics education throughout the business curriculum received praise from the AACSB International, the most prestigious accreditation body of business schools. In spring 2011, AACSB selected the NIU College of Business to spotlight for its outstanding efforts in ethics education. more...
- NIU business joins the SAP University Alliances Community
(Spring 2011) SAP is the dominant player in the Enterprise Resource Planning software market. Joining the SAP University Alliance Community permits NIU business faculty to use SAP software and have access to curricular materials that will allow them to introduce NIU business students to ERP systems. For this project, the college works with an advisory committee that includes business community partners from Vistex, Siemens Industry, Willis Computing, Allstate, Nalco, Alta Via, and Eby-Brown.
- KPMG funds first endowed professorship at the university within the NIU College of Business (September 2009)
The excellence of the Northern Illinois University College of Business and its Department of Accountancy has been recognized with the creation of the university's first-ever endowed professorship: the KPMG Endowed Professorship in Accountancy. Endowed professorships are the most prestigious faculty honor and support into perpetuity the outstanding excellence of specific university programs. For more information about Endowed Professorships and the long-standing relationship between KPMG and the NIU Department of Accountancy, click here.
- CPA Review Performance. The college's accountancy students continue a long tradition over more than three decades of superior performance on the CPA exam as compared to state and national pass rates.
- Northern Illinois University is:
- a full member of the Universities Research Association (URA), an elite group of top public and private research universities that includes Harvard, MIT, Princeton, and Yale.
- among only four percent of all U.S. colleges and universities listed in The Carnegie Foundation'smost productive category: "doctoral/research university-extensive."
- a member of the nation's most prestigious public higher education association: the National Association of State Universities and Land Grant Colleges.
- the home of a new scientific center dedicated to research with Fermi National Accelerator Laboratory, one of the world's premier high-energy physics research laboratories.