NIU Accountancy Rankings
The mission of the NIU Department of Accountancy includes excellence in teaching, involvement in significant research, leadership in and service to the professional community, and service to the College of Business and to the University. The Department's role in the education of its majors is to integrate general education, general business, general accounting, and specialized accounting curricula in order to prepare students for first careers as well as further education so that students can advance careers or make career changes.
Excellence in teaching demands relevant and innovative programs, useful learning materials, and effective instructional systems. As indicated by several measures, the NIU Department of Accountancy successfully fulfills this mission.
The NIU Department of Accountancy currently has about 400 upper-level undergraduate students and about 220 graduate students.
- Approximately 70 undergraduates will have had an internship experience.
- In 2012, $463,060 was awarded to 186 Accountancy scholarship winners. In addition, NIU awarded 305 undergraduate accountancy students $951,294 in scholarship assistance.
- We will graduate over 320 students in three accountancy programs this year and the graduating class is very strong.
- Undergraduate students have an average ACT score of 25 and cumulative GPA of 3.50.
- Graduate (LMAS) student have an average GMAT of 580 and an average undergraduate GPA of 3.45.
National statistics and polls further indicate the quality of our program.
Department Rankings: The Public Accounting Report continues to rank the Department of Accountancy programs in the NIU College of Business among the elite in the nation.
CPA Exam Pass Rate: NIU Accountancy students continue a long tradition of superior performances on the CPA exam compared to state and national pass rates.
Our academic peers at Northern and in the nation recognize our faculty for their excellence in teaching with numerous teaching awards.
- Dr. Jim Young, University Presidential Teaching Professor and Illinois CPA Society Outstanding Educator Award
- Dr. John Simon, University Presidential Teaching Professor
- Ms. Debra Hopkins, Illinois CPA Society Outstanding Educator Award
- Dr. Pam Smith, Illinois CPA Society Outstanding Educator Award
- Dr. Donald Tidrick, Illinois CPA Society Outstanding Educator Award
- Dr. David Sinason, University Excellence in Undergraduate Teaching Award
- Dr. Pamela Smith, American Accounting Association Innovation in Accounting Education Award
- Dr. Rebecca Shortridge, Federation of Schools of Accountancy Innovation in Graduate Education Award
- Dr. Linda Matuszewski, Bea Sanders/AICPA Innovation in Teaching Award
- Dr. Tim West, American Accounting Association Managerial Accounting Manuscript Award
- Dr. Douglas Clinton, IMA Faculty Leadership/Distinguished Service Award
In addition to the above awards, members of the NIU Department of Accountancy faculty have been selected for chaired professorships/fellowships at NIU. These financially supported professorships indicate external recognition of excellence and have been awarded to:
- Dr. Natalie Churyk, Caterpillar Professorship
- Dr. Douglas Clinton, Alta Via Consulting Professorship
- Dr. Chih-Chen Lee, HSBC Professorship
- Dr. Katrina Mantzke, Kieso Professorship
- Dr. Rebecca Shortridge, Gaylen and Joanne Larson Professorship
- Dr. David Sinason, PricewaterhouseCoopers Professorship
- Dr. Pamela Smith, KPMG Endowed Professorship, NIU Board of Trustees Professorship
- Dr. Donald Tidrick, Deloitte Professorship
- Dr. Tim West, Grant Thornton Professorship
- Dr. Jim Young, Crowe Horwath Professorship