The NIU Accountancy Internship program is an academic internship program designed to give qualified applicants practical work experience in the field of accounting. This experience enables a student to assess the correctness of a career choice, to apply in practice concepts and ideas which until now have only been studied in the classroom, and to better choose remaining accountancy electives.
Our new Internship Recruiting Process will be announced on April 1st.
The internships are offered for the summer, fall, and spring semesters. Interns work full-time in an accounting function and are compensated by the employer.
Enrollment in the Internship course can earn three credit hours.
- Spring internships generally occur January 2 - March 20
- Summer internships generally occur mid-May through mid-August
- Fall internship (yes, we have these!) occur late August - late November
- We ask that employers provide real-world accounting experience: internal or external audit, tax form preparation, financial reporting, cost management, systems development and/or major involvement in accounting transaction systems provide excellent windows into the world of accounting. The work should be challenging for a student who has completed their junior year of college.
- Internship employers are not obligated to the intern beyond the term of the internship nor is the intern obligated to the firm subsequent to the period of internship with one exception: the internship offer is considered to be an offer of permanent employment only for those students graduating in their fifth year and achieving 150 credit hours in that Spring. Thus, the "year 4" students' internship is not considered to be an offer of permanent employment. Spring interns are not permitted to participate in the normal fall interview process in the Fall semester preceding their Spring internship. The firms agree they will not, during Fall interviewing, interview any students who have previously obtained a spring internship.
NIU utilizes an electronic recruiting system called Huskies Get Hired, which is managed by NIU Career Services. All students interested in internships will post a resume on this system; all employers interested in hiring interns are advised to use this system to post jobs and schedule interviews.
Internship Opportunities by the Numbers
Our internship program continues to be strong as reflected in the following chart with numbers through June 2012. For more information about the Accountancy academic internship program, contact Tamara Phelan at firstname.lastname@example.org.