In support of the mission of the College of Business, the Department of Accountancy at Northern Illinois University strives to enhance the profession of accountancy through quality teaching, research, and professional service. We seek to prepare students for successful business careers through teaching excellence in our undergraduate and graduate programs. We strive to develop both academic and professional research that will improve accounting education and/or facilitate accounting professionals in providing quality services to the business community. We also endeavor to advance the profession by providing service to professional organizations and assistance to firms and business professionals.
- To pursue excellence and continual improvement in meeting our mission.
- To prepare students for successful and rewarding professional careers.
- To have excellent teaching and effective degree programs that provide students with appropriate knowledge, skills, and competencies.
- To promote and adhere to high professional ethical values and conduct in pursuing our mission.
- To engage in scholarship that makes significant contributions to the accountancy profession and to accountancy education.
- To support the accountancy profession through significant involvement in professional accountancy organizations.
- To support accountancy education through significant involvement in academic accounting organizations.
- To create an environment that appreciates diversity in our students, staff, and faculty.
Based on our Mission, the following strategic initiatives have been set for the Department over the next two to four years:
Faculty Development and Retention
- Establish funding sources to support and retain our faculty (including salary supplements, professorships, and summer research support).
- Provide databases and software needed for teaching and scholarly excellence.
- Continue to inform University administration of faculty needs (including additional faculty lines).
- Utilize direct and indirect assessments of our learning goals and objectives to continually improve our curricula; engage faculty via the Department Assurance of Learning Team and Subject Matter Groups in the curricular process; review curricula with external constituencies (including the Accountancy Executive Advisory Council).
- Continue the development of the Leadership MAS program including leveraging the Ernst & Young Leadership and Professional Development Center and its directors.
- Explore alternative teaching/course/program strategies (including the development of online course modules, blended courses, and online certificates and/or degrees).
- Encourage the development of activities aimed at strengthening the skills needed for our students to effectively enter the profession (oral and written communication skills, technology skills, other soft skills).
- Provide curriculum grants to encourage the development of our curricula.
Department and Program Development
- Collect data related to Department initiatives; assess performance; modify activities as necessary.
- Attract employers to recruit accountancy graduates.
- Focus efforts to recruit high-quality students into degree programs.
- Support outreach efforts to the profession through quality review courses for professional accountancy examinations.
- Increase our fundraising efforts to provide needed revenues to support our mission.