Admission to the graduate program in Accountancy is limited to those students who can demonstrate high promise of success in a graduate business degree program. Admission is competitive. To be eligible for consideration, candidates must demonstrate that they possess the following minimum qualifications:
Students with a baccalaureate degree from an accredited U.S. college or university:
- Strong record of academic achievement demonstrated by cumulative GPA
Note: The GMAT is no longer required but may be submitted to supplement the academic record if GPA does not fully demonstrate academic ability.
- Positive recommendations, preferably from an academic source.
International students (students with a baccalaureate degree from a college of university outside the U.S.):
- Strong record of academic potential demonstrated by GMAT score
- Command of both oral and written English
International students for whom English is not the first language must submit a minimum TOEFL (IBT) score of 80 or and IELTS score of 6.5. Possession of a baccalaureate or higher degree from an accredited institution may serve in lieu of the TOEFL score.
- Positive recommendations, preferably from an academic source
If the undergraduate degree is not in accountancy and/or business, the student must fulfill the Phase I College of Business foundation courses and Phase I accountancy requirements (see Degree Requirements). A student, who wishes to enroll in Phase I courses at NIU, must be admitted to the M.A.S. (Leadership) program.
Admission decisions will be made promptly after the priority and graduate school deadlines for each term. You will receive an official notification from the graduate school indicating your admission status. Applicants who are admitted to the MAS (Leadership) program will also receive an email from the department that includes instructions for accepting the admission offer.
MAS (Leadership) Application
Graduate School Deadline
(all supporting material)
|Summer||February 1st||April 1st||-------*|
|Fall||March 1st||July 15th||May 1st|
|Spring||September 15th||December 10th||October 1st|
* International students, who did not graduate from NIU, cannot apply for summer term.
To be considered for admission you must submit the following documents to the Graduate School:
- Online Application & Application Fee (www.grad.niu.edu/grad/apply/degree_seeking.shtml).
- Official Transcripts
NIU students do not need to submit transcripts. Transfer students must submit an official transcript from each school attended. International students should submit both English and native language copies of their transcripts.
- Official Test Scores (if required)
• GMAT Score - Allow two to five weeks for the official GMAT score to reach NIU.
• TOEFL or IELTS score
- Two Letters of Recommendation Letters from an academic source, rather than from a work-related source, are preferred.
- Career Goal Statement The goal statement should be two to three paragraphs explaining how the MAS (Leadership) program will help you meet your career goals.
Two to three business days after applying, you will receive an email with instructions on how to follow your admission application on MyNIU (www.niu.edu/myniu). MyNIU will ask for a NIU Z-ID and a password. If you do not have a Z-ID, you need to go to www.newstudents.niu.edu/its/audience/newstudents.shtml to obtain your login information.
Any outstanding documents which are necessary to process your application will be on your "To Do List" on your MyNIU page. It may take several days for MyNIU to reflect the actual receipt of documents to the Graduate School.
Call (815) 753-1637 for questions about the MAS (Leadership) program. Questions concerning applications, documents, and process should be directed to the Graduate School.