Any student admitted to NIU can declare the accountancy major; however, to enroll in any 300- or 400-level accountancy courses, students must meet criteria from option 1 OR option 2.
- Criteria Option #1
- Meet the requirements to enroll in UBUS 310, Business Core Lecture*; and
- Obtain a 3.20 cumulative GPA or higher (NIU plus transfer GPA based on a four-point scale); and
- Obtain a minimum grade of B in ACCY 206, Introductory Financial Accounting, and minimum grade of B in ACCY 207, Introductory Cost Management, or equivalent courses. If a student earns a C in ACCY 206/207, a second opportunity to take the course can be provided. See the Accountancy advisor for further details.
- Criteria Option #2
- Meet the requirements to enroll in UBUS 310,* Business Core Lecture; and
- Obtain a passing score on the Accountancy Qualifying Examination (AQE). Students who wish to meet Criteria Option #2 should contact Testing Services at 815-753-1203 to register for the AQE. Learn more about the AQE exam and free review...
*Requirements to Enroll in UBUS 310
- Complete the following courses with a C or better: ACCY 206, ACCY 207, MGMT 217, UBUS 223, OMIS 259, ECON 260, ECON 261, MATH 211 or MATH 229, PSYC 102, and ENGL 104 or ENGL 105 or equivalent courses; and
- Complete the Career Compass program (UBUS 100ABCD; Optional for transfer students with 45 or more credit hours ); and
- Complete 60 semester hours (Junior standing); and
- Obtain a 2.75 cumulative GPA (NIU and Transfer GPA) ; and
- Complete or enroll in Passport Introduction (UBUS 200; To be taken before or concurrent with UBUS 310)