The Association to Advance Collegiate Schools of Business (AACSB International) requires that the majority of the professional course work in various degree programs be taken during a student's junior and senior years.
NIU's College of Business offers six undergraduate programs: Accountancy, Business Administration, Finance, Management, Marketing, and Operations & Information Management. To enroll in UBUS 310 (the first upper-level business course required) every student must:
- Be in Junior standing (have at least 60 semester hours completed);
- Have a minimum 2.75 Cumulative GPA (NIU & Transfer GPA); and
- Complete the following TEN prerequisite courses (with at least a "C" or better--only TWO attempts allowed per course):
- ACCY 206, Introduction to Financial Accounting
- ACCY 207, Introduction to Cost Management
- MGMT 217, Legal Environment of Business
- UBUS 223, Introduction to Business Statistics
- ECON 260, Principles of Microeconomics
- ECON 261, Principles of Macroeconomics
- ENGL 104, Rhetoric and Composition II
OR ENGL 105, Rhetoric and Composition
- MATH 211, Calculus for Business and Social Science
OR MATH 229, Calculus I
- PSYC 102, Introduction to Psychology
- OMIS 259, Introduction to Business Information Systems
In addition to the 2.75 GPA requirement to enroll in UBUS 310, individual departments may have a current retention policy to continue in their upper-level program, including a higher GPA requirement. Meet with an advisor for further information.
Accountancy majors please (click here) for specific admission criteria to enroll in any 300 or 400-level accountancy courses.
Each major has specific requirements for graduation from their program.