Safety & Security
Only the west and east exterior doors of Barsema Hall are unlocked at all times. All keys for the building are centrally managed and distributed by the Dean's Office, room 139. If you have questions regarding security of the building, email firstname.lastname@example.org or stop by the Dean's Office in Barsema 139.
Northern Illinois University's Department of Public Safety is vigilant in ensuring the safety of the campus community. If there is an incident which occurs on campus that poses an imminent threat to life and safety to those in the campus community, NIU police will engage multiple mechanisms to alert students and employees. more info...
- BH Tornado Shelter Plan Summary
- BH Defibrillator (a.k.a. AED: Automatic External Defibrillator)
- Located on the first floor, near the base of the atrium steps.
- When door is opened to access unit, alarm will sound.
- Some faculty/staff trained on how to use it.
- The Technology Resources Department maintains it.
- BH Telephones
- BH Classroom Telephones on Podium
- All phones are set up with a 9-1-1 speed dial button, in the event of an emergency.
- BH Campus Telephone
- Located in first floor corridor, south of vending machines
- The campus phone can be used to dial 9-1-1 in the event of an emergency.
- Emergency Post on BH Grounds
- Clearly labeled EMERGENCY
- One-button access to the University Police.
- Two available near Barsema Hall
- Located just off the southwest corner of BH between BH and the Engineering Building.
- Located on the northwest corner of the building's grounds, on Garden Road, between the building and the parking lot.
- Fire Alarm Units are deployed throughout the building
- During a loss of power in BH, emergency lighting would be activated.
- Late Night Ride Service
- NIU Emergency Guide
- NIU Safety & Security on Campus
- NIU Emergency Alert Communication Page