Welcome from the Dean of Northern Illinois University's College of Business
Thank you for your interest in NIU's College of Business, which is housed in Barsema Hall, the university's state-of-the-art facility. Since its founding in 1961, the business college has graduated more than 47,000 alumni. Many of our alumni have gone on to become successful business executives in the Chicago area and around the world. In fact, it is because of our close proximity to Chicago that our college can build extensive partnerships with firms, alumni, and business leaders. We do this with you - the student - at the forefront of our mind.
Some of the many experiences you stand to gain at the NIU College of Business, include the opportunity to:
- Hone your business knowledge in a college that has ranked continuously as among the very best business schools in the nation for each year of BusinessWeek's rankings of undergraduate business schools.
- Identify what you want for your career with the help of the Career Compass program and nationally-regarded academic advisors.
- Interact with more than 100 business professionals each semester who come into the classroom to share career insights.
- Study business overseas during short-term travels with faculty and students to countries such as France, China, Ireland, and Austria.
- Listen to company founders and Fortune CEOs speak on topics such as ethics in business, global competitiveness, entrepreneurship, microfinance, among others.
- Grow under the guidance of faculty coaches who help you and fellow students of a cross-functional team to solve real business problems for real organizations.
- Attend events -- including the largest job fair in Illinois -- to network with alumni and business professionals for internship positions as well as full-time positions after graduation.
- Learn from professors who are world renowned in the fields of accounting and finance, are nationally recognized in marketing, management, and operations, and served as business professionals prior to earning their PhD.
Students, faculty, recruiters, and business partners alike seek out our nationally-ranked college and its outstanding programs that include: the highly ranked undergraduate and graduate accounting programs, top rated professional sales program, the finance department's student managed portfolio, the OM&IS unique curriculum blending operations and technology education, the management department's strong human resources focus, and the M.B.A. Program, ranked among the top programs in Chicago for each year of the Crain's Chicago Business rankings. Throughout the college, there is continuous focus on excellence and on identifying and implementing innovative, current practices. Day to day, it is an exciting place to be!
See firsthand what the NIU College of Business is all about. And please feel free to contact me in the Dean's Office if you would like to learn more about the college.
Denise D. Schoenbachler, Dean
NIU College of Business
Where the Classroom Meets the Business World