- Operations Management & Information Systems
- Certificate Programs
- SAS Programmer Boot Camp
SAS Programmer Boot Camp
The boot camp will provide an intensive in-class training for accessing and cleaning data, creating data structures, managing data, generating reports, and handling errors using SAS. If you are someone who wants to learn how to write SAS programs for data analysis and decision support for reporting and analytics, then this boot camp for SAS® Base Programming for SAS® 9 is ideal for you. The SAS® Base Programming for SAS® 9 certification is usually considered very helpful in securing an entry level job in data analytics. The boot camp is offered at a significantly reduced fee due to NIU College of Business’s partnership with SAS® Global Academic Program.
Purpose and Benefit
SAS programming and analytical talent is in short supply and high demand in today’s business world. After completing this boot camp, students will know how to:
- Use FORMATTED and LIST input to read raw data files.
- Use INFILE statement options to control processing when reading raw data files.
- Use various components of an INPUT statement to process raw data files, including column and line pointer controls, and trailing @ controls.
- Combine SAS data sets using the DATA step.
- Integrate with Access and Excel workbook.
Creating Data Structures
- Create temporary and permanent SAS data sets.
- Create and manipulate SAS date values.
- Export data to standard and comma-delimited
- Work with raw data files.
- Investigate SAS data libraries using Base SAS utility procedures.
- Sort observations in a SAS data set.
- Conditionally execute SAS statements. Using the DATA step to modify variable attributes using options and statements, accumulate subtotals and totals, and use assignment statements.
- Use SAS functions to manipulate character data, numeric data and SAS date values.
- Use SAS functions to convert character data to numeric and vice versa.
- Process data using DO loops and SAS arrays.
- Validate and clean data.
- Generate list reports using the PRINT procedure.
- Generate summary reports and frequency tables using Base SAS procedures.
- Enhance reports through the use of user-defined formats, titles, footnotes and SAS system reporting options.
- Generate HTML reports using ODS statements.
- Identify and resolve programming logic errors.
- Recognize and correct syntax errors.
- Examine and resolve data errors.
Schedule and Cost
Date: 5-day boot camp from August 20 – 24, 2018.
Time: 8 a.m. – 5 p.m., Monday through Friday
one-hour lunch break at noon and students are responsible for their own lunch.
Location: Barsema Hall 333, College of Business
Boot Camp Price: $665 (cost covers professional instruction and training materials)
The standard market price is $3,065 (source: sas.com/certify).
Exam Fee: $90. The standard exam fee is $180. NIU is able to significantly reduce the cost due to the partnership with SAS Global Academic Program.
Prerequisites for the Boot Camp
NIU students, alumni, or working professionals must successfully complete OMIS 259 with a grade of C or higher. No prior SAS experience is required.