Top Writing Mistakes Made
by Many Business Students (in random order)*
- Assuming that it is easier to write a short paper. It is
hard to summarize a lot of information in a short space.
- Improper use of apostrophe.
- Do not use apostrophe for plural. The plural of CD is CDs,
- Use the appropriate format of "its" versus "it's".
For example, Alliance Packaging holds some inventory for its customers
NOT Alliance Packaging holds some inventory for it's
(which means "it is") customers.
- Referring to a single company as they. However,
it is correct to use the word they when referring to companies
in plural. For example, Nike and Reebok have both reduced their prices.
They know what they are doing.
- This is incorrect usage-Nike reduced its price to $90.
They did not know what they were doing.
- The correct usage is- Nike reduced its price to $90. It
did not know what it was doing.
- Not rewriting a report. All good writing is rewritten.
- Long paragraphs. Note: If you have a paragraph that
is longer than a page, rewrite.
- Not organizing reports into sections. For example, Introduction,
Background, Analysis and Recommendations. The exact type (and number) of sections
depends on the particular project being submitted.
- Assuming that Microsoft Words spelling and grammar
check will solve all writing problems.
- Not re-reading the report before submission.
- Mistaking Internet sources (e.g., company propaganda) for
- Long sentences.
Last updated January 16, 2004
*Thanks to Sandeep
Krishnamurthy, UW, Bothell