Frequently Asked Questions
What are courses are required to participate in the student managed portfolio?
You must successfully complete the Finance core (FINA 330, 340, 350). Keep in mind that although your performance in all classes is taken into consideration, performance in FINA 340 is weighted more heavily.
- How do I become part of the student managed portfolio class?
You will need to fill out an application form. Stop in the Finance department to pick one up.
- How often does the class meet?
The class meets twice a week, but you are also expected to meet with your partner(s) outside of class.
- How much work will I have to do?
It varies from week to week, but plan on spending around 10 hours a week doing research, working on projects, and where ever else you are needed.
- What types of investments does the student managed portfolio make?
We are allowed to invest in large-cap equities (over $1 billion) and equity mutual funds.
- How much money does the student managed portfolio manage?
A total of $220,000 was generously given by the NIU Foundation and the Treasury Management Association of Chicago for us to manage.