In 1951 the Business Department at Northern Illinois University was formed. Originally housed in the former WWII barracks, located on the corner of Lucinda and Garden Road, the three faculty members of the new Business Department taught 11 business courses to their 43 business students.
Dr. Francis Geigle, as the first chair of the department, would see the Business Department outgrow the barracks, moving first to Altgeld Hall and then to McMurry Hall by the end of the decade.
During the next decade the Business Department became The College of Business and the College moved once again to their new home Wirtz Hall.
The following decades brought rapid growth and change in enrollment, faculty, and technology.
Recognizing that technology was a driving force in the College's ability to offer a quality education, Barsema Hall, a state-of-the-art building, was built in 2002 and has become an important part of the educational process at NIU.