Learning Goals & Objectives
The NIU Master of Accounting Science program provides advanced study in accounting to prepare students for the challenges of the professional practice of accountancy.
- Our graduates will be technically proficient accounting and business professionals.
Our students will demonstrate a thorough understanding of:
- technical accounting knowledge appropriate to their chosen programs of study.
- the integration of accounting and business knowledge in a variety of contexts, including financial statement analysis and business valuation.
- Our graduates will assume leadership roles in appropriate circumstances.
Our students will demonstrate:
- an understanding of leadership development theory and its application to the accounting profession.
- an understanding of the concept of change management and the role of accountants as change agents.
- an understanding of how to think, learn, and solve problems from a leadership perspective.
- effective team-building skills.
- Our graduates will be effective researchers.
Our students will conduct research to develop effective solutions to accounting and business problems, relying on appropriate technology tools, authoritative pronouncements, and data sources.
- Our graduates will be effective communicators.
Our students will:
- communicate in a professional manner.
- demonstrate effective teamwork skills.
- exhibit professional business conduct.
- demonstrate effective facilitation skills.
- Our graduates will be ethical accounting professionals.
Our students will identify ethical issues, decision alternatives, consequences, and workable alternative solutions by applying relevant professional standards and codes of conduct.