Mission & Objectives
In support of the mission of the College of Business, the Department of Accountancy at Northern Illinois University strives to enhance the profession of accountancy through quality teaching, research, and professional service.
We seek to prepare students for successful business careers through teaching excellence in our undergraduate and graduate programs. We strive to develop both academic and professional research that will improve accounting education and/or facilitate accounting professionals in providing quality services to the business community. We also endeavor to advance the profession by providing service to professional organizations and assistance to firms and business professionals.
- To pursue excellence and continual improvement in meeting our mission.
- To prepare students for successful and rewarding professional careers.
- To have excellent teaching and effective degree programs that provide students with appropriate knowledge, skills, and competencies.
- To promote and adhere to high professional ethical values and conduct in pursuing our mission.
- To engage in scholarship that makes significant contributions to the accountancy profession and to accountancy education.
- To support the accountancy profession through significant involvement in professional accountancy organizations.
- To support accountancy education through significant involvement in academic accounting organizations.
- To create an environment that appreciates diversity in our students, staff, and faculty.
While pursuing our mission and upholding our core values, we strive to meet the following objectives. Our degree of success in meeting our objectives cannot be measured by a simple count of the number of benchmarks met. Rather, representative stakeholders (Accountancy faculty, Accountancy Executive Advisory Council, and Accountancy Leadership Advisory Council) assess our degree of success, and provide input into the areas for which improvement is most needed.
- The Department supports teaching efforts that contribute to the mission of the Department.
- Each academic program has appropriate learning goals.
- Learning goals for each academic program are being met.
- Each academic degree program provides the proper preparation for students' careers.
- Content in accountancy courses is current and relevant.
- Faculty teaching is excellent and effective.
- The Department supports research efforts that contribute to the mission of the Department.
- Tenure-track faculty members have a consistent stream of refereed publications and/or presentations at refereed conferences and seminars.
- Tenure-track faculty members provide support to the academic community's research efforts.
- Faculty support professional activities of the accountancy profession.
- Tenure-track faculty support academic accountancy organizations.
- Tenure-track faculty support the accountancy profession by developing textbooks for academic use and other educational or professional training materials for accountancy professionals.
- Faculty participate in internships with businesses (or other types of significant consulting activities) to enhance their expertise in accountancy.
- Tenure-track faculty are involved in the activities and programs of the Department to help the Department achieve its mission.
- Associate and full professors support activities and committees of the College and/or University.
- Faculty actively support accountancy student organizations and related activities.
- Recruit quality students for our degree programs.
- Build and maintain an excellent academic internship program that provides opportunities for students to obtain real-world experience while in their academic programs.
- Place graduates in entry-level accountancy or other business positions that provide them opportunities to meet their career goals.
- Determine the feasibility of offering the MAS program at one of NIU's facilities in the Chicago suburbs.
- Continue to develop the certification program in internal auditing.
- Enhance our students' effectiveness in achieving professional certifications (i.e., CPA, CMA, CIA).
- To effectively communicate and market our quality programs.
- Accountancy Executive Advisory Council provides guidance to the Department.