Proposing an Internship for College Credit
To participate in the Internship Program, you should have Junior standing and a minimum overall GPA of 2.75 and a 3.00 GPA in your major. Exceptions may be granted depending on circumstances. Credit will not be given retroactively for work experiences prior to your application. Regardless of the source leading to an internship, Dr. Marsh must approve it.
To seek approval for internship credit, submit a typed, one-page proposal to Sarah Marsh, Management Department, Barsema Hall — Room 245-B.
The proposal must include the following information:
- A job description developed by you and the hiring organization that outlines your responsibilities and work schedule (hours and days).
- The name, title, address, and telephone number of your immediate supervisor.
- A list of your learning objectives.
- The number of credit hours you would like to earn. Normally you could earn up to three credit hours per semester or summer. Note that these credit hours can apply toward your graduation, but will not apply toward your Management major or your Business degree.
- Your social security number.
- Phone numbers where you can be reached on campus, at home, and at work.
Proposals should be submitted at least three weeks prior to the beginning of the appropriate term (Spring, Summer, Fall). When Dr. Marsh has approved the proposal, you will receive a permit number from the Management Department so you can register for the course.
"My internship not only taught me the basics of the job, but also helped me learn more about myself and what I want in my career. It was a great hands-on opportunity to give the business world a test and apply what I have learned at Northern. Doing an internship was definitely one of the best decisions I've made in college." ~ Brittany, Management Major