My senior year has just begun but it is already time to start buckling down and finding out where ‘future me’ will be once graduation is over. The opportunities are endless; I just have to look for them. From jobs to internships and everything in between, there must be a place for a Marketing Major like me. But what if I’m not ready for a career just yet and want to continue my education instead? Well, if you are thinking the same thing then today is your lucky day. I’ve already done the research for you and found some amazing opportunities hosted here at NIU! One in particular caught my eye. It is called the NIU Fast-Trak MBA and after doing my own basic digging, I took it upon myself to interview the coordinator of the program, Anthony Preston.
Why are you excited about the Fast-Trak MBA?
- The most exciting part is we’ve made a lot of enhancements from our original program. The first part is our insight program. It consists of four components.
- The first is participating in workshops. Students practice speaking in front of large crowds, business writing, etiquette, etc… things companies really look at but we can’t learn in class. It is very experiential.
- The second component is that each student will receive a personal career coach. It’s his job to make sure that you have a job by the time you graduate.”
- Each student will be given an ementor. Each mentor is an MBA alum. Students can ask their ementor, hey what are you doing in your company with all these different topics?
- Finally, we’re going to bring in very experienced guest speakers. We also take students to different companies so they can see all the stuff they’re learning being applied.
What else does the Fast-Trak MBA have to offer?
- Students are traveling to a different country spending 6 weeks in Murcia, Spain or Bordeaux, France depending on the semester. They’re going to learn the curriculum they’re being taught as well as the different culture. They’ll be with students representing over 40 countries. They can learn not only what’s going on in Europe but also what’s going on in countries where fellow students are coming from. This is all going to happen in 12 months; 2 degrees in 12 months.
What does this program give students that other programs can’t?
- We really pride ourselves on personal attention in the MBA programs. All the professors will know your name, and it will be a dialogue. When we can say that there’s 100% placement of our students working in jobs that they want to work in, that’s something that we’re really proud of. There’s not one MBA program that is doing what we’re doing …you can’t find it anywhere and it’s accredited. In Chicago there are only 7 accredited schools and NIU is one of them.
Build your network and make life long relationships
Because the class is so small you’re taking every single class with the same group of students for 12 months. Those students are there to be your support network and ‘extended family’ for the 12 months. You build an extreme bond and friendship with your teammates.
Exceptional balance of work and play
Students will have class Monday through Thursday. On Friday, Saturday, and Sunday they can actually travel. Last year students went to Rome, Barcelona, Paris, Madrid, and Switzerland. With the cheap airfare, students are able to see a different country in a weekend and be back and ready for class by Monday.
As a fan of international travel and challenging workloads I feel this program would be a great fit for me if I should decide to continue my education. If you could see it fitting well with your interests and goals, go ahead and check out the Fast-Trak MBA’s website at http://www.cob.niu.edu/mbaFastTrak/. Who knows, maybe I’ll see some of you in France or Spain sooner than you think! 2.0out