Your finance internship will prepare you for career success. Please contact firstname.lastname@example.org for internship advice and to determine whether to pursue college credit for your internship experience.
- You must be a declared finance major and retained in the upper-division program.
- Prerequisite: Satisfactory completion of the FINA Core (FINA 330, 340, FINA 350), ACCY 306, FINA 395 and consent of department.
- Regardless of the source leading to an internship, our academic advisor must approve it for credit. If the position was not originated by the Department of Finance, the employer must submit an employer internship request form for position approval.
- You must submit an application for finance internship credit and a copy of your employment confirmation letter (on company letterhead) to our academic advisor.
- When the department's academic advisor has approved an internship for FINA 458 credit, she will enroll you in the course for three (3) credit hours.
- All forms are available from the department's academic advisor in Barsema Hall 236.
Enrollment in FINA 458, Internship in Finance, means you will pay tuition and fees for the hours enrolled. Also, the following requirements must be met:
- You will be required to submit a daily log of your activities to our academic advisor every two weeks that you are employed.
- At the end of the internship, you must submit a five to eight page typed paper. The topic will be jointly determined with the department advisor upon enrollment in FINA 458.
- Toward the end of the internship, your immediate supervisor will be sent an evaluation form which they must complete and return to the department’s academic advisor.
p>Every fall and spring semester one student enrolled in the FINA 430 course is selected for a paid internship for NIU Treasury Operations. Candidates are selected by interview with the director of treasury management. Interns are given the opportunity to attend the TMAC Windy City Summit and network with over 150 major companies. Please contact Norman Goldstein at email@example.com for more information.For a complete listing of job opportunities, please visit Huskies Get Hired.
Some of our students have accepted internships from the following companies:
- American Hotel Register Company
- Charles Schwab
- Clover Technologies Group
- Compass Mortgage
- Crowe Horwath LLP
- Enterprise Rent-A-Car
- First Midwest Bank
- Foresters Financial
- Fromm Four-Star Nutritionals
- General Electric
- La Banque Postale
- Modern Woodmen Fraternal Financial
- New York Life Insurance Company
- Northern Illinois University
- Northwestern Mutual
- Office of the Comptroller of the Currency
- Sears Holdings Corporation
- Smithfield Foods
- Springleaf Financial Services
- State of Illinois
- Wells Fargo
Micro-internships are paid short-term projects (ranging from lead generation to social media engagement to research and data analysis and more) posted by employers across a wide range of industries. Often, these projects require 5-40 hours of work across one to four weeks, pay $12-$25 per estimated hour and can be completed remotely or on site. They are posted on a rolling basis, and can be applied to year-round. Students bid for the jobs by writing a short application, receive valuable feedback via employer evaluations and then are paid a lump sum upon satisfactory completion of the project.
Through micro-internships, students (even CPT-eligible international students) can learn and hone transferrable career skills, explore potential career paths, build meaningful networks with organizations across the country, and get paid – all in their spare time. Additionally, employers gain immediate access to a competitive source of talent for short-term projects which can later lead to summer internships and full-time hires. Alumni employers can take this one step further by filtering bidding students by alma mater in order to strengthen mentoring connections.
To get started, simply explore opportunities or post a project!
- B.S. in Finance
- M.S. in Finance
- Accelerated B.S. in Finance/M.S. in Finance
- Minor in Finance
- Certificate of Undergraduate Study in Finance
- Certificate of Undergraduate Study in Financial Planning
- Certificate of Graduate Study in Finance
- Certificate of Graduate Study in Financial Risk Management
- Certificate of Graduate Study in FinTech
- Professional Certifications
Contact UsDepartment of Finance
740 Garden Road
DeKalb, IL 60115