- Departments and Programs
- Operations Management and Information Systems (OM&IS)
- SAS Programmer Boot Camp
SAS Programmer Boot Camp
This boot camp will provide intensive in-class training for accessing and cleaning data, creating data structures, managing data, generating reports and handling errors using SAS. If you want to learn how to write SAS programs for data analysis and decision support for reporting and analytics, then this boot camp for SAS® Base Programming for SAS® 9 is ideal for you. The SAS® Base Programming for SAS® 9 certification is considered to be very helpful in securing an entry-level job in data analytics. The boot camp is offered at a significantly reduced fee due to our partnership with the SAS® Global Academic Program.
Purpose and Benefit
SAS programming and analytical talent is in short supply and high demand in today’s business world. After completing this boot camp, you'll know how to:
- Use FORMATTED and LIST input to read raw data files.
- Use INFILE statement options to control processing when reading raw data files.
- Use various components of an INPUT statement to process raw data files, including column and line pointer controls and trailing @ controls.
- Combine SAS data sets using the DATA step.
- Integrate with Access and Excel workbook.
- Create temporary and permanent SAS data sets.
- Create and manipulate SAS date values.
- Export data to standard and comma delimited.
- Work with raw data files.
- Investigate SAS data libraries using Base SAS utility procedures.
- Sort observations in a SAS data set.
- Conditionally execute SAS statements. Using the DATA step to modify variable attributes using options and statements, accumulate subtotals and totals and use assignment statements.
- Use SAS functions to manipulate character data, numeric data and SAS date values.
- Use SAS functions to convert character data to numeric and vice versa.
- Process data using DO loops and SAS arrays.
- Validate and clean data.
- Generate list reports using the PRINT procedure.
- Generate summary reports and frequency tables using Base SAS procedures.
- Enhance reports through the use of user-defined formats, titles, footnotes and SAS system reporting options.
- Generate HTML reports using ODS statements.
- Identify and resolve programming logic errors.
- Recognize and correct syntax errors.
- Examine and resolve data errors.
Prerequisites for the Boot Camp
There is no prerequisite for current NIU graduate students, or alumni who have experience using computer software and be able to understand system commands on your operating systems. Undergraduate students must successfully complete OMIS 259: Introduction to Computer Information Systems or equivalent, with a grade of C or higher. No prior SAS experience is needed for the boot camp.
Schedule and Cost
Date: Five-day boot camp from August 12 to 16, 2019
Time: 8:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m., Monday through Friday
One-hour lunch break at noon. Students are responsible for their own lunch.
Location: Barsema Hall 300, College of Business
Boot Camp Price: $799 (covers professional instruction and training materials). The standard market price is $3,065 (source: SAS® Global Certification Program).
Exam Fee: The OM&IS Department will reimburse the certification Exam fee ($90 value) to current NIU students on their first attempt of the SAS base programmer certification exam. To enjoy this benefits, current NIU students must register and take the certification exam at the NIU College of Business on the scheduled exam date (Friday August 30th, 2019). Your instructor will help you with this during the first day of the boot camp. The standard exam fee is $180.
The boot camp will be jointly supported by NIU and SAS. Dr. Yipeng Liu is an Associate Professor of MIS and the Assistant Chair of OM&IS Department at NIU’s College of Business where he has extensive knowledge of programming and using SAS. Dr. Yipeng Liu will teach the entire workshop for all five days with course materials, ePractice access and certification exam supported by SAS for the boot camp.
- Operations Management and Information Systems
Contact UsDepartment of Operations Management and Information Systems
Barsema Hall 328
740 Garden Road
DeKalb, IL 60115