Associate Professor of Entrepreneurship
Ph.D., Louisiana State University
Furkan Amil Gur is an associate professor of entrepreneurship in the Department of Management at Northern Illinois University. He received his Ph.D. in management from Louisiana State University, Department of Management. He earned his bachelor’s degree in business administration and his master’s degree in production management and marketing at Marmara University in Istanbul, Turkey. Furkan had entrepreneurial experiences and worked in the advertising industry before his academic career. Furkan currently teaches courses on creativity, innovation and entrepreneurship, as well as entrepreneurship and business model designs at Northern Illinois University. His research interests center on entrepreneurship and interorganizational relationships. Specifically, he has interests in entrepreneurial ecosystems and intermediaries, inter-startup competition, cooperation and coopetition, competitor identification and geographic industry clusters. His work has been published in the Entrepreneurship Theory and Practice, Journal of Management, Long Range Planning, International Journal of Entrepreneurial Behavior & Research, Journal of Service Management, and Journal of Management History, among others. Furkan was recently selected to receive NIU’s 2021 Excellence in Online Teaching Award.
- Creativity, innovation and entrepreneurship
- Entrepreneurship and business model designs
- Gur, F. A. and Mathias, B. (2021). Finding self among others: Navigating the tensions between personal and social identity. Entrepreneurship Theory and Practice, https://journals.sagepub.com/doi/10.1177/10422587211038109.
- Gur, F. A., Bouchet, A., Walkup, B., and Jensen, J. (2021). Moving Beyond Traditional Sponsorships: Understanding the Structure and Dynamics of Minority Equity Sponsorship Agreements. Journal of Business and Industrial Marketing, In press.
- Muldoon, J., Bendickson, J., Gur, F. A. and Murphy P. Management’s Knowledge Filter: Entrepreneurship Theory and the Historic Conceptual Evolution of Opportunism in Management Studies. Journal of Small Business and Enterprise Development, In press.
- Gur, F. A., Bendickson, Joshua B., Madden, L., and McDowell, W. "On the Road to Recovery: How Do Regions Recover After Disasters?". International Journal of Entrepreneurship and Behavior Research. Online First: https://www.emerald.com/insight/content/doi/10.1108/IJEBR-09-2019-0537/full/html
- Greckhamer, T. & Gur, F. A. A Configurational Study of Strategy and Performance in the Airline Industry. Long Range Planning. Online First: https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/abs/pii/S0024630118306654
- Gur, F. A. and Greckhamer, T. ‘Know Thy Enemy’: A Review and Agenda for Research on Competitor Identification. Journal of Management, Online First: http://journals.sagepub.com/eprint/vZjYiv6rFVW8bXCTw8Qk/full
- Alkire, L., Mooney, C., Gur, F. A. et al. Transformative service research, service design, and social entrepreneurship: A An Interdisciplinary approach for service research. Journal of Service Management. Online First: https://www.emerald.com/insight/content/doi/10.1108/JOSM-05-2019-0139/full/html
- Gur, F. A., Bendickson, J., Solomon, S. (2019). Executive Antecedents of Interfirm Cooperation. Canadian Journal of Administrative Sciences. Online First: https://doi.org/10.1002/cjas.1538
Honors Faculty Fellow (2022-2023)
As an Honors Faculty Fellow, Professor Gur will teach a seminar on Innovation, Social Equity, and Entrepreneurship in Media with Professor Vazquez in fall 2022 in the University Honors Program. The Honors Faculty Fellowship program identifies faculty eager to teach innovative, exciting seminars of interest to highly-motivated students from across the university.