Hiring NIU Students
NIU uses an online placement tool called Huskies Get Hired. The software allows employers to post jobs, accept applications, choose students to interview and schedule on-campus interviews. The software allows students to post resumes to general “resume books” and to respond to employer job postings with a cover letter and/or resume.
We strongly recommend that all employers and students use Huskies Get Hired. For help with this tool, contact Carolyn Ramsey in NIU Career Services at 815-753-7170 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
The objective of the academic internship is to provide students with a supervised program of employment and academic experience to assist the student in determining career paths and objectives while obtaining academic credit. The internship employment period is a minimum of 10 weeks of full-time experience. Spring internships typically begin in early January and continue through late March or mid-April, depending on the nature of the internship. Summer internships typically begin in mid-to-late May and continue through early August. Fall internships occur from late August to late November.
An internship provides:
- practical application of accounting experience.
- development of competencies in operational tasks in the accounting field.
- exposure to the physical, academic and environmental requirements of a professional accounting career.
- development of the intern’s communication skills – written, oral and listening.
- experience with interpersonal skills needed for success.
- opportunity for the employer to evaluate the future employability of the intern.
Employer Steps in the Recruiting Process
- Review and accept the NIU Department of Accountancy Job Offer Policy
- Register and post open position(s) on Huskies Get Hired
- Request an interview schedule using Huskies Get Hired
- Register for and attend an Accountancy Career Fair
Questions about Recruiting?
Contact Tamara Phelan, Director of Accountancy Internships, at 815-753-6208 or email@example.com.
Contact UsDepartment of Accountancy
740 Garden Road
DeKalb, IL 60115