Today's global marketplace is competitive and changes rapidly. Get the edge you need to succeed with our one-year Global MBA, offered on our main campus in DeKalb, Illinois. You'll learn international business principles and skills and have the option of applying them through study abroad programs.
Join the Global MBA Program
- Enhance the value of your undergraduate degree, regardless of your major.
- Earn two master's degrees in one year.
- Study abroad - twice.
- Learn in a fast-paced, rewarding environment.
- Collaborate with international students at home and abroad.
- Develop international business acumen through our global curriculum.
- Study with faculty who have international business experience.
- Build career skills for today's competitive market.
Fall: July 15. Spring: Dec. 10. Summer: June 1.
Candidates are encouraged to apply as early as possible.
In addition to compliance with the policies of the Graduate School, the College of Business considers several indicators of potential for success in graduate business studies, including, but not limited to, the following:
- Cumulative grade point average (GPA) at the baccalaureate institution
- Work experience at the post-baccalaureate level, where applicable
- Resume requested with application
- Leadership and communication skills as documented in a goals statement and resume
- Two letters of recommendation submitted through the Graduate School application
- Submission of the results on the Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL) for applicants whose native language is not English
At the discretion of the respective program directors, you may be required to attend an interview or submit additional materials deemed important in assessing potential for success in graduate business studies.
Candidates with a nonbusiness undergraduate degree must satisfy prerequisites before starting the Global MBA.
The following courses or equivalents must be completed (with a grade of C or better at the undergraduate level or a grade of B or better at the graduate level) prior to enrolling in the Global MBA:
- Business Statistics (OMIS 524)
- Business Information Systems (OMIS 507)
- Financial Accounting (ACCY 505)
- Survey of Business Economics - Macro and Micro (FINA 500)
- Principles of Operations Management (OMIS 505)
- Principles of Management (MGMT 505)
- Graduate Survey of Marketing (MKTG 505)
- Fundamentals of Financial Management (FINA 505)
- Business Law Essentials (MGMT 511)
Prerequisites for Global MBA
For candidates with a nonbusiness undergraduate degree and those with a business degree who have not successfully completed all of the admission requirements, we offer interactive, self-paced online courses for $750 per course.
- Complete the Graduate School application.
- Submit your statement of purpose electronically after completing the Graduate School application or email it the MBA office at email@example.com.
- Request an official transcript from each college or university from which you graduated.
- Please note: The GMAT may be waived on a case-by-case basis for graduates of the NIU College of Business (with a 3.00 or greater cumulative GPA) or an AACSB-accredited business program. Contact the MBA office for more information regarding the GMAT requirement.
- Submit your TOEFL score, if required. The TOEFL is required for international students only. You must submit your score report to the Graduate School. An applicant whose native language is not English must present an IELTS score of 6.5 or, alternatively, a TOEFL score of at least 80 on the TOEFL ibg or 213 on the scale of 0-300. The score must be for an examination administered no more than 24 months prior to the beginning of the academic term for which admission is sought. At the discretion of the intended major department, possession of a baccalaureate or higher degree from an accredited institution in the U.S., the U.K., Ireland, Canada, Australia or New Zealand at which the language of instruction was English may serve in lieu of the TOEFL score. For complete information regarding the TOEFL examination, registration, fees and testing sites, please contact TOEFL Customer Service at 1-877-863-3546 or visit their website.
- Please note: Upon receipt of an application and supporting documents, a face-to-face or telephone interview will be scheduled with you. It is strongly suggested that all candidates consider admission deadline dates when scheduling an appointment for testing. Early test-taking offers you the best opportunity for admission into the program.
Compared with other Chicago-area MBA programs, tuition for our Global MBA is less expensive than many other institutions.
Approximate total program cost:
- $32,000, including the double degree program
- $26,000, excluding the double degree program
Approximate total program cost:
- $43,000, including the double degree program
- $37,000, excluding the double degree program
If you need prerequisite courses, please contact the MBA office for an evaluation of your transcripts to determine how many courses will be required to satisfy the entry requirements. Prerequisite course fees are not included in the listed program prices.
The curriculum covers general business subjects required for the MBA degree; however, it is not restricted by traditional academic boundaries regarding credit hours and semesters. Instead, topics are presented in modules of varying lengths. Communication skills in listening, writing and speaking are stressed at the beginning of the program and integrated throughout the curriculum.
Every Friday, you'll be involved with our Insight Program, which includes developmental workshops, career coaching, e-mentorship, corporate visits and guest speakers.
- Start in the summer, fall or spring semester
- Full-time course load, Monday through Friday in DeKalb, Illinois
- Two optional study abroad sessions to Europe in the fall and spring
- Students with a business undergraduate degree or equivalent Phase One business foundation courses are eligible to start the program in August (fall semester) and graduate in May (spring semester)
Prerequisite courses for nonbusiness majors. Contact the MBA office for transcript evaluation. (Prerequisite courses can be completed online.)
|Module 1: Graduate Survey of Marketing; Operations Analysis|
|Module 2: Optional Study Abroad Component*|
|Module 3: Elective Course|
|Spring||Module 4: Managing Individuals, Teams and Organizations; Management of Information Systems; Financial Analysis|
|Module 5: Optional Study Abroad Component*|
|Module 6: Managerial Accounting; Strategic Management and Policy*|
*Students have the option of obtaining a master's degree in international management from Sapienza University in Rome, Italy.
- Learn to think cross-functionally and strategically about business.
- Build managerial skills that assess real-world global issues and workplace problems.
- Perfect networking skills to help you establish business contacts.
- Participate in developmental workshops, career coaching and e-mentoring through our Insight Program.
- Expand your ideas and learn more efficiently by collaborating with a diverse group of international and domestic MBA students.
The Global MBA provides a unique opportunity to earn two master's degrees in one year. In addition to your MBA from NIU, you have the option of earning a master's degree in international management from our international partner school, Sapienza University. Students who pursue the double degree program spend two three-week sessions in Rome, Italy.
Classes are taught in English. Course content includes European culture and customs, international trade practices and logistics, international marketing, international law and international management.
Benefits of a Double Degree
- Exposure to global corporations and international business.
- A curriculum that allows you to learn from international peers through team-taught courses, group projects and real-world case studies.
- The opportunity to learn from faculty with real-world experience.
- Insight into foreign business transactions and relationships with the U.S., as you network with people from all over the world.
- Reasonable cost, compared to other institutions.