International Business Seminars
Experience international business practices and the excitement of traveling outside the U.S. through our International Business Seminars (IBS) program. You’ll make multiple business visits to both small, local firms and large, multinational enterprises. Each visit will include a combination of lectures, panel discussions and plant tours, followed by a Q&A session. Almost all presentations will be conducted by senior management personnel. The IBS program is co-sponsored by more than 25 universities, so you’ll have the opportunity to make lifelong friends from across the U.S.
If you wish to earn academic credits from NIU, you must register for a trip through the NIU Study Abroad Office. Please note: Scholarships are not available for the Virtual Study Abroad programs.
Seminars and Costs
The virtual seminars include an $895 credit to be used on a travel program either this summer 2021 or next winter 2021/2022.
|Program||Dates||Registration Deadline||Credit Hours||Program Cost|
|Virtual Japan||May 15-28, 2021||April 15, 2021||2||$1,270|
|Virtual Europe||May 15-28, 2021||April 15, 2021||2||$1,270|
|Germany||June 25-July 15, 2021||TBD||3||$7,695|
|MBA||July 2-11, 2021||TBD||3||$5,665|
|Ireland||July 15-26, 2021||TBD||3||$5,405|
- NIU tuition for three or six credit hours
- Accommodations at first-class or superior tourist-class hotels
- Daily continental breakfast
- Surface transportation as described in program
- Sightseeing and excursions as outlined in program
- Seminar visits to businesses/industries
- Luggage tags and 44 pounds of luggage allowance
- International Student Identity Card
- NIU major medical insurance
The NIU Study Abroad Office handles enrollment. To register, complete the online application form for the desired seminar. The following documents are needed to complete the application process:
- Student application agreement
- Course preference form
- A clear and readable copy of the first page of your passport (if you don't have a passport, apply for one as soon as possible)
- A check or money order for the $200 deposit (made payable to NIU)
- Two recent, passport-sized (2 x 2) photos (vending machine photos are not acceptable)
You can have your passport photo taken in the Study Abroad Office from 8 a.m. to noon and 1 to 4 p.m., Monday through Friday. The cost for two photos is $5.
For satisfactory participation in the seminar, you'll earn three semester hours of undergraduate or graduate credit in one of the following NIU courses. You can also sign up for an additional three-credit independent study course at no extra cost.
- MKTG 387: International Study in Marketing
- INTL 301: Study Abroad Programs
- MKTG 491: Independent Study in Marketing
- MKTG 601: International Study in Marketing
- IDSP 501: Study Abroad Programs
- MKTG 604: Independent Study in Marketing
If you wish to earn academic credits from NIU, you must register for a trip through the NIU Study Abroad Office site.
Scholarships are not available for the Virtual Study Abroad programs.
University Travel Grant for Study Abroad
The Study Abroad Travel Grant was established to enhance opportunities for participation in for-credit NIU study abroad programs. If you have any questions about the application process, please contact Rita Veron in the NIU Study Abroad Office at email@example.com or 815-753-0700.
The Division of International Programs, through its Study Abroad Office, established The Clara Sperling Memorial Scholarship. This award assists NIU students, Juniors and Seniors with cumulative GPA of 3.0 and above, participating in an approved NIU Administered (faculty directed) study abroad program during the summer. Scholarships are available based on donations received annually to support this scholarship. Scholarships may not be available every summer. Applications are due on November 1 for Winter programs and on May 15 for Summer programs.
College of Business Dean's Office
The College of Business (COB) dean's office is proud to offer scholarships for business majors enrolled in study abroad courses. Depending on the number of students who apply, the college will award scholarships of up to $1,000. COB students who are applying for COB scholarships are required to apply for this travel grant by November 1 for winter programs or May 15 for summer programs.
International Business Seminars Director Scholarships
Each semester, the International Business Seminars (IBS) director offers several $500 scholarships. Students interested in IBS director scholarships are required to submit an application. Due dates for applications are May 15 for Summer programs and November 15 for Winter programs.
Accountancy Study Abroad Scholarships
Students of the Accountancy programs are eligible for this scholarship. Please contact the Chih-Chen Lee for more information. Due dates for applications are May 15 for Summer programs and November 15 for Winter programs.
Other Scholarships Available Through the Study Abroad Office
There are many scholarships available for study abroad, and more are announced all the time.
Additional Grants and Scholarships
- International Business Seminars Scholarships
- Phi Kappa Phi Study Abroad Grants
- Asian Institute Scholarships
Submit Asian Institute Scholarship applications to Anthony Preston, director of global programs, Barsema Hall 203C.
- "Worlds of Wisdom" by Andrew McComb, IBS Winter Southeast Asia 2017
- "IBS Summer Europe #1" by Nick Kochetta, IBS participant, summer 2012
- "An Enlightening Experience in Europe" by Amanda Highley, International Study in Marketing
- "The Importance of Being Social" by Amanda Highley, Independent Study in Marketing
- "European Insights Analysis" by Wendi Rea, Graduate International Study in Marketing
Study Abroad 101
Looking to learn more about study abroad programs? Curious as to what your first steps may be? Every Wednesday and Thursday at 3:30 p.m., the NIU Study Abroad Office hosts Study Abroad 101. Head over to Williston 417 to ask questions and learn more about studying abroad.
"Be a Better Manager, Live Abroad," Harvard Business Review